Monday, March 2, 2015

Life, the Universe, and Everything // Douglas Adams {Audiobook}

Why I'm reading
Hitchhiker! Plus, Martin Freeman (yes, Martin, not Morgan) played a fantastic Arthur Dent in the not-quite-so-fantastic movie adaptation.

Where I got the book
Greenwich Library.

Expectations
I’m not sure about Martin Freeman’s narration, especially after I just listened to Fry’s.

So how was it?

In a nutshell, Life, the Universe, and Everything follows Arthur Dent and Ford Perfect as they try to save the world from evil cricket robots. Cricket the game, that is, not the insect. Freeman has done several of the Hitchhiker books -- maybe the whole set, I can’t tell -- but I somehow managed to skip from Fry’s version of book 1 to Freeman’s book 3. So getting plopped in the middle of prehistoric Earth was a little jarring. Plus, apparently I didn’t remember quite as much about Life, the Universe, and Everything as I thought I did as a teenager (ha!), so it was an exciting read/listen.

Recommendation
Definitely for fans of the movie version of Arthur Dent.

Feels
A bit more wacky than Hitchhiker, but conversely, a more solid plot.

Favorites
Freeman’s version of Trillian was pretty good, and his narration of the flying scenes (my favorite part of the book) was delightful.

Least favorites
Ugh, coming from Fry’s delicious interpretation of Zaphod Beeblebrox, I hated the New York / New Jersey accent Freeman used. It reminded me of the scraggly-blond-trashy-pirate movie Zaphod, who also sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment