Thursday, May 19, 2016

Thing Explainer // Randall Munroe

https://xkcd.com/thing-explainer/ThingExplainerCover.pngIn the spirit of Thing Explainer, this word thing is getting done in simple words using simple writer.  

Why I'm reading
That computer funny image with four letters.

Where I got the book
My local book place; also new job!) It was sticking out of the book holder as I walked by -- probably should be in the big books area, but whatever -- and I grabbed it.

What I think will happen
Things we've learned and done and created written in very simple language.

So how was it?

It was… not not like a school book, to tell the truth. A lot of blue pictures with lots of information and tiny words everywhere. I don’t think it would teach you anything unless you already understand the ideas -- they’re not simple blue pictures; they’re blue pictures with lots of information, written in simple language.

With that said, it’s a fun read. It makes you see things in a new way… and half the fun is trying to figure out what the hell Munroe’s talking about. What is a key lock? It’s used to keep things locked up, but what does it really do? It checks the shape of a piece of metal, and opens for the right shape; so it's really a “shape checker.”

I’d really love something like this for languages, history, and that kind of thing.

Recommendation
[Neeeeeerds.] ;) It’s also a lot like the Green brothers’ Things Hitting Each Other Course!

Feels
Fun and school-book-y?

Parts I like the most
The US Laws of the Land (especially the “serious office” branch!) and the Pieces Everything is Made Of.

Parts I don't like the most
It’s a lot to take in, and to be truth-telling, I rushed through some of the pages I wasn’t interested in (or already mostly understood). The simple language is fun, but I already know how the body and washing machines and ships work, and the language is only fun for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment