Monday, April 13, 2015

Yes Please // Amy Poehler {Audiobook}

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780062268341_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG
The next audiobook after my failed attempt to complete Ray Bradbury...  

Why I'm reading
Amy Poehler!

Where I got the book
Greenwich library, audiobook. I didn’t even know she wrote a memoir until I saw it on the shelf… now, I’m seeing it everywhere.

Expectations
Something like Tina Fey’s memoir.

So how was it?

I can’t help but compare it to her comedy-wife Tina Fey’s memoir -- and since I’m much more of a Tina than an Amy, I liked hers a lot better. But that’s entirely down to preference. There was a lot of baby/mom stuff, and it was all front-loaded into the beginning of the book. But all in all, a fun and interesting read (listen). She spends a lot of time talking about her insecurities, but it never gets dark. After you get past the baby stuff, she has some cool stories about SNL cast members, award shows, and Parks and Recreations.

Recommendation
Fans of Amy Pohler, Saturday Night Live, Parks and Recreations. Anyone with an inner doubt demon.

Feels
Fun, funny, family oriented, a little self-help-y.

Favorites
Award show shenanigans, and the fact that she brings in a bunch of other actors/comedians to read bits.

Least favorites
Eh, some of it gets philosophical... or at least tries to. Also there was maybe like 25% more baby stuff than there really should have been,

Writing style
Very conversational, with some additional (improv’d?) discussion with her guest readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment